If you are going to maintain an aquarium, then you need the right devices for that. One of the most important aspects you need to consider in maintaining an aquarium is the temperature.
The best aquarium heater will consistently keep the water at the right temperature while protecting the fish from burning.
Choosing the right aquarium heater is very important as it guarantees a healthy aquarium where life can flourish. However, there are quite a number of models in the market that finding the best can be a real hassle.
In this article, we are going to look at some of the best aquarium heater models you can find in the market to make it easier for you in finding the model that suits you.
Best Aquarium Heater FAQs
1. What Is an Aquarium Heater?
This is a thermal device used in fish keeping to warm water temperatures in aquariums or fish tanks.
2. What Does an Aquarium Heater Do?
An aquarium heater basically raises and stabilizes the water temperatures of the aquarium to a range where fish can survive (around 22 to 30 degrees Celsius).
3. How Does an Aquarium Heater Work?
In simple terms, an aquarium heater converts electricity to heat. As water absorbs heat the heater heats the surrounding water.
It automatically turns off when the temperature of the setting is reached. The water must have good circulation for the heater to work properly.
4. Where Can You Buy It?
Online stores like Amazon have dealers and sellers of the best aquarium heater models you can find in the market.
5. How Long Does It Take to Heat an Aquarium?
It takes at most 24 hours to heat your aquarium to stable temperatures. You can confirm the temperatures by checking the reading on the thermometer. Every time the temperature gets too low the heater sends an alarm by showing a light.
How We Reviewed
We carried out in-depth research to find out how different aquarium heaters work. We did this by analyzing their distinctive features in order to pick the best there are in the market.
Other aspects we considered include pros & cons, and where to buy. On some occasions, we had to test these heaters so as to obtain accurate, reliable and unbiased results that could help you make the best buying decision.
What We Reviewed
- JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System Kit
- Aquatop Aquarium Glass Submersible Heater
- Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater
- Aqueon Pro Submersible 100W Heater
- Fluval E 100-Watt Electronic Heater
- Finnex Hang-On Electronic Controller Aquarium Heater
- Cobalt 150 Watt Neo-Therm Heater
- Hygger Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Hydor In-Line External Heater
- Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater
1. JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System Kit
What makes this the best aquarium heater is its controller’s internal memory. It makes it capable of saving temperature settings even during a power failure.
This is unlike the thermostats in regular heaters which can result in inaccurate temperatures readings or recurrent on and offs. Besides that, it boasts a Tru Temp digital controller which has push-button controls and an LED display.
The titanium heating element of this aquarium heater works only as a heating element since it has no thermostat. It is plugged into the Tru Temp unit and turns on and off automatically.
- Has a heater guard that prevents rock slides and fish burn
- Has a digital controller
- Corrosion free thus the best for both salt and freshwater
- It includes an in-tank mounting hardware
- External remote temperature probe (0.5 degrees accuracy)
- Available in different wattages
- Can be calibrated
- You have to replace most of the parts after a short time of use
- Does not maintain the temperature as it should
2. Aquatop Aquarium Glass Submersible Heater
Most people have rated this the best aquarium heater as it is very powerful. It uses a liquid crystal vertical aquarium thermometer.
It has 300W of power which gives a 68-93F temperature range. The heater works with a tank capacity of up to 75 gallons at a voltage of 110-120V/60Hz.
The heater is made with high-quality insulated glass and has double insulation. It comes with suction cups for easy setup.
- Easy to adjust temperature settings
- Easy to set up
- Accurate temperature settings
- A very powerful heater
- A clear display for easy temperature reading
- Delicate, thus it has to be shipped with extra care
- Limited warranty
3. Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater
This heater is fully submersible and is found in different watts and lengths. Its TruTemp dial is simply set to allow you to easily set your desired temperature.
Even better, it has an indicator light makes it easier to monitor the operation of the heater. Safety features like an automatic shut off and shatter-proof and shock resistant glass make it the best aquarium heater.
- Shuts automatically in case the water gets low
- Easy to access temperature controls
- Available in various watts and lengths (from 50 to 300W)
- The Tru Temp dial stays 0.5 of your ideal temperature
- A shock resistant and shatter-proof glass
- Very long thus may not fit horizontally
- A long and difficult calibration process
4. Aqueon Pro Submersible 100W Heater
This has been rated the best fully submersible aquarium heater in the market. Available in different watts, this heater model has adjustable heat settings and a highly accurate electronic thermostat.
It is made of thermoplastic making it shatterproof and indestructible. It has a large control knob and the fact it is easy to access makes it one of the best aquarium heater models.
- Shatterproof and durable
- Automatically shuts off when it overheats and rests when it cools down
- Lifetime warranty
- Fits both horizontally and vertically
- LED light indicator for easy monitoring
- Shuts automatically when out of the water and resets and resumes normally when placed back in the water
- Inaccurate temperature dial
- Customer service is not the best
5. Fluval E 100-Watt Electronic Heater
This can be used in a variety of tank sizes since it comes in different watts. It has dual temperature sensors that guarantee real-time water temperatures. It allows temperature settings between 68 and 93 degrees Fahrenheit in 0.5 degrees increments.
What makes it the best aquarium heater is its slim mounting bracket that enables you to mount the heater at different angles.
- Colored alert system on the LCD display warns you if the water temperature varies
- Has a back-lit readout for easy temperature monitoring
- An integrated fish guard protects the fish from burning
- Easy to access temperature controls
- Automatic safety shut-off system
- Accurate and real-time temperature readings
- 5-year warranty
- You need a set-up guide
- Setting up horizontally could annul the warranty
- Some features may not work in low wattage models
6. Finnex Hang-On Electronic Controller Aquarium Heater
This is one of the fastest performing and powerful aquarium heaters you can come across. It has a temperature range of 70 to 92 degrees Fahrenheit and can handle up to 120 gallons.
Unlike other models, its temperature control is set on the external which is most convenient. The heater provides an accurate temperature setting and maintains it within 2 degrees.
Other features that make it feature among the best aquarium heater models include an LED heating indicator, titanium tube, a sleek analog controller, and a heater guard.
- It saves on the tank space
- An outside-the-water temperature control
- Corrosion-resistant titanium tubes make it ideal for saltwater
- The LED heating indicator must be horizontally placed
- Short warranty period
7. Cobalt 150 Watt Neo-Therm Heater
This heater allows you to set a temperature range of 66 to 96 degree Fahrenheit. It maintains the temperature within 0.5 degrees.
Its super flat design and a one-touch control system make it the best aquarium heater. It features integrated thermal protection that automatically shuts off when the heater overheats.
- Easy to access one-touch control system
- The LED display shows both the set and the current temperature of the tank concurrently
- Fully submersible and shatterproof
- High-quality construction
- Accurate temperature control
- Available in different watts
- Some watt versions malfunction
- The suction pads loosen up rather quickly
8. Hygger Submersible Aquarium Heater
The heater has an internal thermometer and external temperature control that makes it easy to adjust the temperature between 68 and 93 degrees Fahrenheit.
It features an auto-shutoff that will enable the heater to shut down during low water level and to prevent overheating. It is easy to read the temperature thanks to the digital LED display.
The heater comes with multiple protection features like a heater guard, a glass-made shatterproof, and 2 suction cups and these features make it one of the best aquarium heater models.
- Easy to read the temperature
- On and off indicator light makes it easy to monitor the heater
- Fully submersible
- Multiple safety features
- Accurate temperature control
- The digital LED display is extremely bright
- May need extra monitoring
9. Hydor In-Line External Heater
This is designed to work along with a canister filter. It is the best aquarium heater for both tropical and marine aquariums.
Though regular aquariums are meant to be submerged in the aquarium, this was made to be mounted outside. The heater uses a polymer PTC heating element which prevents overheating at any given point.
Its design gives it constant exposure to water movement. It is easy to set and adjust the heater as it is setting the temperature. The LED light indicator helps you monitor how the heater operates.
- Easy to adjust the temperature
- Overheating protection
- External installation saves on the tank space
- High-quality construction
- Accurate electronic temperature control
- Difficult to see the indicator light with the heater behind the aquarium
- Only mounted vertically
- Only works with a canister filter
10. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater
An electronic thermostat is what makes this the best aquarium heater. It maintains the water temperature at 78 degrees Fahrenheit with no need for adjustment, thus ideal for tropical fish.
It is ideal for 2 to 10-gallon tanks and it is fully submersible. Even better, it has a conveniently small footprint that you can conceal it behind plants or décor.
- Small size
- LED light indicators
- Can be installed either vertically or horizontally
- Highly performing electronic thermostat
- Malfunctions after a short time
- No overheat protection
- No temperature adjustments
When it comes to choosing an aquarium heater, the safety of your fish should be the number one priority. The best aquarium heater keeps your fish safe and in the right, stable temperature conditions.
Features to look out for when choosing an aquarium heater include watts, accessible controls, temperature readability, safety features, and adjustable temperature options.
From the information we gathered from our research, the Fluval E 100-Watt Electric Heater is our top pick. It comes with multiple safety features at a very affordable price.
It is also the best option for both beginners and experts since it is easy to use and it comes in various watts for different aquariums.