What Are Rocks for Freshwater Aquariums?
Rocks for freshwater aquariums are specifically made for, or prepared to be safe for, fish and the water they live in.
What Do the Best Rocks for Freshwater Aquariums Do?
The best rocks for freshwater aquariums will not cause harm to the ecosystem of the aquarium while adding beauty, providing a place for healthy bacterial growth, and add mineral back into the water. Some also provide a place for fish to hide, bury, or rub.
What Is Most Important When Choosing the Best Rocks for Freshwater Aquariums?
The best rocks for freshwater aquariums will be non-toxic, attractive, porous and include natural minerals.
Where Can You Buy the Best Rocks for Freshwater Aquariums?
Aquarium supply stores, pet supply stores and online retailers such as Amazon all carry aquarium rocks.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the best rocks for freshwater aquariums based on their Features, Pros & Cons, and Where to Buy. Actual user reviews were considered.
What We Reviewed
- At an unprecedented 50% void space (macro and micro), you will be hard Pressed to find a durable natural Rock that has this magnitude of porosity
- Natural weathering processes form the fantastic shapes of South seas base Rock by the erosion and pitting of Limestone over the course of eons
- Safe for all marine and high ph freshwater systems
- Calcium Carbonate rock supports health ph
- Made in the USA
The Carib Sea ACS00370 South Sea Base Rock has 50% large and small void space, which means it is very porous. It is a naturally weathered stone, is safe for salt and freshwater tanks, and it is made of calcium carbonate for healthy tank pH.
- Natural volcanic rock, Red, 0.88 IB
- Filter Media:Ornamental fish essential filter
- The surface covered with pores, the more holes the more conducive to the cultivation of nitrifying bacteria
- Breathable water permeability is good, help to cultivate and produce
- 400 g / bag,The size of the stone is different
These are made of natural red volcanic rock and are also very porous for cultivating bacteria. The size of the stones differs in this 400 gram (0.88 pounds) bag.
SunGrow mineral rocks are light colored, with mostly earth tones, and they have rounded edges and textured surfaces. These rocks contain 60 essential trace elements and minerals that release minerals back into the water for up to six months. They contribute to the health of the tank by purifying water through ionic exchange and provide a space for bacteria helpers to thrive.
- Those high quality natural stones by CNZ are non-toxic
- Ideal for home decor and a creative interior and exterior design
- Please rinse them before you put them in your fish tank, Size: Average size 0. 5" - 0. 8" total weight approximately 5 pounds
These are strictly decorative, non-toxic natural stones that look much like river pebbles. They are mostly polished. They run about 0. 5" - 0. 8", and the package weighs 5 pounds in total.
These are what stereotypical aquarium gravel look like. They are small in diameter, smooth, and come in a 5-pound bag. This brand offers pink, green, blue, black, white, and fluorescent gravels.
- Dashingtons High Quality Decorative Black Glass Gems.
- Perfect for Aquarium and Floral Use.
- 5lb Bag contains approximately 400-500 marbles.
- Decorative and Smooth Finish.
- Size Approximately: 3/4"
These are not rocks at all but smooth glass marbles that are flattened out for use in aquariums. They are about a ¾ inch across and come in a 5-pound bag.
- NATURAL SLATE - 100% real Slate stone will add beauty and realism to your creations. Because these are natural stones, each bag is a mix of stones from 3 to 5 inches. Product of the USA
- PERFECT for creating walkways, benches, steps, archways, caverns, ground cover and much, much more in miniature or fairy gardens, model railways and doll houses.
- EXCELLENT for Aquascaping aquariums, terrariums, vivariums and other pet enclosures. These stones naturally hold heat for reptiles or other heat loving pets. They can be glued together with aquarium safe glue to create caves, cliffs and mountain ranges for fish and plants.
- BEAUTIFUL for bonsai. Use in home decor in bowls and vases and as ground cover for indoor plants. Perfect size and shape for rock painting. Gives wargaming miniatures natural and realistic scenery.
- COLOR - These stones are a natural grey slate that are darker when wet or can be more permanently darkened by using a sealant or clear finish (do not apply any sealant or finish to stones that will be used in aquariums or pet enclosures). Because this is a natural stone, slight color variations including some white quartz or brown stones may be mixed in.
These are 100% real slate stones that come in pieces 3-5 inches long and are mostly gray; although sometimes there are some white or brown pieces. They hold heat and can be stacked to create caves, mountains, and spaces for plants to be placed.
- NATURAL STONES- These high quality natural stones by Royal imports are non-toxic and eco-friendly river rocks. Their natural attribute will make them last longer because they will not deteriorate like mulch does. Common applications include flowerbeds, groundcover, decorative concrete topping, or walkway paving. Decorative rocks are a permanent and cost-effective alternative to annual wood mulching.
- MANY USES- If you want to add extra beauty in your garden, lawn and even to your potted plant or aquarium this pack of pebbles is ideal for you. It is perfect for home decor and a creative interior and exterior design. Use for flower arrangements, vase fillers, walkways, water features, exposed aggregate flooring or walls, swimming pool areas and many other areas. It could also be used as an accent to aquariums (see caution below), water gardens, ponds, and terrariums.
- ROUND AND SMOOTH- These pebbles are easy on the feet as there are no sharp edges. Because of the shape, river rocks provide good drainage and is very attractive at the same time. River rocks are used in flower and garden beds and on walkways for erosion control.
- BEST BUY- Bring an earthen beauty to your décor with these smooth and vibrant river rocks. The natural, black and white finish pebbles can be utilized in many decorations, and will wonderfully embellish nature-themed surroundings. For an eye-catching homage to the Great Outdoors, scatter these stones around the base of a pillar candle in hurricane glass, and feature it on your coffee table or mantel
- COLOR & DIMENSIONS - Rocks range in length approx from 2.00" to 0.75"(rocks are natural and as a result some may be broken or out of shape, oval or round, thick or thin). The color of this river rock is natural so it may include a variety of different shades of browns, whites and black rocks. These rocks are packaged in a 5 pound netted bag. Approximately 160 rocks per bag.
These aquarium rocks are natural, smooth pebbles available in two color combinations. One is slightly lighter than the other. They include shades of brown, white, and black.
- Weight: 2 pounds, about 1000 gram. Stone size: 1-3 mm. Material: glass sand. Volume: 0.22 gallons
- Colorfast, non-Toxic, will not alter the chemistry of your aquarium water
- Use indoor & outdoor. Shiny in water. Perfect decor for fresh & saltwater aquariums, ponds, terrariums, gardens, potted plants, vases, ash trays, crafts & hobbies...
- For a fish tank with length of L'' & width of W'', 1'' thickness of stone layer needs L * W / 23 pounds of stones. E.g. for a 10''*10'' tank, 1'' stone layer needs 4.35 pounds of stones
- Please rinse with water 3-4 times before putting in a fish tank
These decorative stones are made of glass that is shiny when under water. They come in a variety of colors and sizes.
These rocks look like coral and are a natural reef rock that is not harvested from the sea. It is environmentally friendly and free from organisms. A 10-pound box comes with 2-3 pieces of varying sizes. They are some of the best rocks for freshwater aquariums.
We really like the SunGrow mineral rocks for their texture and the added benefit of mineral composition. However, it would be cost prohibitive to create an entire substrate out of them, even if your aquarium is small. We recommend using a combination of natural, rough stone such as Carib Sea ACS00370 South Sea Base Rock or MarcoRocks Key Largo Dry Rock, along with Royal Imports Decorative Ornamental River Pebbles and then supplementing with SunGrow mineral rocks.
You are sure to find a combination that is attractive and effective at maintaining the health and well being of your tank and fish.